The Paper Armada
I have always found that for a child, the first herald of a tropical storm is not the thunder, but a mundane electric bulb. On those biting mornings in Adyar, I would wake to find the kitchen light burning—a yellow beacon in the pre-dawn gloom. To my young mind, that light meant only one thing: the heavens had opened, and the world outside was a deluge.
My mother—Alli, as she was known—possessed a forensic decisiveness when it came to the weather. If it rained, the school was out of the question. It didn't matter if the government declared a holiday or not; in our household, the rains were a sovereign power.
"It’s just a bit of water, Alli! Send Raghu, he has a test today," Brindha Teacher would plead, her voice a mix of professional duty and suppressed laughter.
"No, Brindha," my mother would reply, with the finality of a High Court judge. "You may test him another day. The roads are a patchwork of potholes, and who knows what live wires lie hidden in the mud? I will not have him out in it."
By eight o’clock, I would abandon my pretence of study and retreat to the thinnai—the raised veranda. Our street, a quiet enclave of barely eight houses, would transform. The garden became a miniature Ganges, a swirling, muddy river snaking through the compound. I remember the pathos of the hibiscus, its delicate stem swaying precariously under the onslaught of the rain. From the coconut fronds, the water dripped with a rhythmic, heavenly persistence.
Occasionally, the river would yield treasures: a long-lost coloured pencil, a sharpener, or the silver foil of a Cadbury’s wrapper from some forgotten afternoon.
"Keep an eye on the boy," my mother would command my father. "Two drops of rain and his head fills with fluid; he'll be miserable for a week."
When my sister Bhavani was born, she too faced the maternal gauntlet. "Are you following him into the wet? Come inside this instant, or I shall leave you to sneeze your heart out in bed without a shred of sympathy!"
The true delight, however, began when the downpour settled into a fine drizzle. As my mother retreated for her afternoon siesta, I would begin the tactical operation of the paper boats.
I was meticulous in my choice of material. The Kalkandu magazine was the preferred stock. One could not touch the Vikatan or Kumudam; my mother had an uncanny ability to recall an unread article. "Where are the two pages from last week's issue? Have you been tearing them again?" she would cry. But the Kalkandu? History recorded no instance of her reading it twice.
I did not realise there was a downward slope from the West, Kasturba Nagar, third cross to my street, Kamaraj Avenue. My friend Babu, who lived two houses down, was my chief rival. He understood the physics of the street better than I did. His boats, launched with a strategic flick, would invariably end up at my gate, while mine seemed trapped in a navigational limbo.
Babu possessed a precocious sense of intellectual property. He would use a 'copying pencil'—that violet-leaded relic that stained one's lips an indelible purple—to scrawl his name on his fleet. He would visit me in the evening to inspect the shipwrecks. "This one was the fastest," he’d sneer, pointing to a sodden wreck. "It rammed yours aside before it ran aground."
Sometimes, my mother would join the game. She would critique my choice of paper—"This is too thick, it won't sail. Use this thinner sheet"—and use a laundry pole to create artificial waves, urging my fleet toward the gate. But the play always ended at two o'clock. "Enough," she would say, her eyes drifting toward the radio. "I must have my Vividh Bharati and my Hindi songs."
The next day, the glamour would fade. Walking home from school, I would see the remains of our armadas—dirt-streaked, folded into themselves, half-submerged in the receding puddles. It was a sight that always left a certain heaviness in my chest.
Decades later, that same heaviness returned. There was no rain that afternoon, no swirling rivers in the compound, and no paper boats to launch. It was the afternoon I returned home after her cremation.
It occurred to me then, with the cruel clarity of hindsight, that there is no season more desolate than a rainy afternoon without paper boats and a mother to play.
RK Narayan reborn... 👌
ReplyDeleteThank you
DeleteMy observation as well. Wish RK Laxman was there as well. Maybe AI can help? That'd take the effect to another level!
DeleteVery touching .. படிக்க படிக்க காட்சிகள் கண் முன்னே வந்தன.
ReplyDeleteThanks
DeleteRagghu you are lucky to have a mother like her and she is also alucky mother to have a son like you. Very touching indeed.
Deleteஇதன் தமிழ் வடிவத்தையும் படித்திருக்கிறேன்.. உங்கள் ஆங்கில மொழித் திறன் அபாரம் எனினும் personally இந்த வ்யாசத்தை தமிழில் படித்தபோது மன நெருக்கமும், நெகிழ்வும் அதிகமாக உணர்ந்தேன்
ReplyDeleteRaghu though I have read Ravakesari earlier, I could not resist reading it again and again. When I think of Tirumai storesI remember my schooldays and the impact that shop made in me. The tall dark owner I think was Tirunavukarasuand the person who would be sitting on the stool would call me kutti and who introduced me to Tamil literature. At that time I didn't know it was Chinna Annamalaiwho even took me to Aza valliappas house.Great Tamil epics were introduced to me in that little shop.I am not surprised Vasundara goes looking for that shop.what a beautiful narration. Very nostalgic
ReplyDeleteYour writing about your mother whom I have met twice wasreally touchig
Excellent! Thank you
DeleteInteresting! Thanks.
DeleteWe used to call it kathikappal i think.I remember floating mine in Lloyds road
ReplyDeleteAn interesting emotional chapter of your Autobiography.. !! குஞ்சைக் காக்கும் கோழியெனத் தாய் ! பிற்பகுதியில் தாயை இழந்த குஞ்செனப் பரிதவிக்கும் தனயன் ரகு .. A touching chapter, Raghu.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ramki!
Delete